Wednesday, February 27, 2019

Blog Post: 3

Kamusta klase (Hello class)! I can’t believe that today was our last class for this seminar. I’ve enjoyed bonding with everyone through telenovelas as we’ve gone beyond talking about basic plot points. For this blog post, I would like to discuss about the production side, specifically about the two major media networks that have dominated the Philippines’ market with regards to the revenue generated and the content they produce, of which telenovelas, or teleseryes, are a major part.


As a reference, the show I watched and studied, Bridges of Love, was produced by the mega-network ABS-CBN. Here’s a basic guide comparing the process these networks go through when it comes to developing an entire telenovela:




Similar to what we’ve discussed in class regarding telenovela production throughout the world, these networks undergo a series of revisions that spans from the writers, producers, camera crew, actors, and so on so forth. Also interesting to note that for the audience, the story and romantic markers are what captivates them; however, both networks utilize data and network ratings to determine the time slot these telenovelas will air in the country.

When we were discussing about representation and identity, we talked about how the media can be viewed as a lens that amplifies what is seen in real life. While the events and drama in Bridges of Love are unlikely to occur in real life, the themes of family, betrayal, and forgiveness are ultimately what the audience connects with. Perhaps it is these themes, combined with the epic love story between two lost brothers and a woman who brings them together, that created waves of emotion so immense that Bridges of Love was able to be distributed outside of the Philippines. 

Although Philippines is not a major player in the telenovela industry amongst other countries like Mexico, Brazil, Turkey, and other parts of Asia, I do think they are on the rise of becoming more well known. This past month, I have been subscribed to the pinoy entertainment distributor, TFC, and I have noticed that the quality and content of some of the movies and TV shows have improved since the last time I watched pinoy entertainment several months and years ago. This experience has not only allowed me to improve my tagalog vocabulary, but has also introduced me to new shows I now have on my list to watch.

A special thanks to Dr. A - I never really thought about the behind-the-scenes of my favorite telenovelas and have enjoyed seeing and listening to your passion about the subject through the semester. I look forward to watching more telenovelas and using the knowledge and perspective I have gained throughout this odyssey seminar moving forward.


2 comments:

  1. Hi Tricia!
    I loved reading your post! I've always been really interested in how tv/film are made so I especially enjoyed the class when we talked about this. It's really awesome that you were able to discover more networks to watch. I didn't really think about that when I picked my telenovela. It would have been a really awesome opportunity to learn about more countries' television. I've found out that a good way to understand other countries is by learning about their cultures directly. I'll have to check out your telenovela. Anyway, it was awesome to be in the same class. Good luck with your essay!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tricia!
    I questioned how telenovelas were made and how much work goes into making them from the moment I watched La Reina Del Sur. We talked today about your trouble of finding networks to watch Filipino novelas on, so I'm happy to hear you've found an alternative.This chart is an amazing summary and outline of all the work and planning that goes into making a telenovela which is what our class focused on. Amazing find!

    ReplyDelete