Wednesday, February 27, 2019

El Fin

El Fin



Celia has touched a different place in my heart than any other show I have ever watched in my lifetime. It touches on topics that were relevant during her time and along with ours today. The show showed me how a black woman, who may not be the prettiest person, can overcome any obstacle set in their path. Being a black woman in any time period can prove to be difficult. Black people are viewed beneath any race and all race, but the black woman is beneath the black man. Making black women have to fight harder to make a place for themselves in their futures. However, Celia showed me how she's overcoming her obstacles and how my own mother is similar to her.

My mother is black and my father is white, so I have viewed their different cultures in my life as one. I never knew them to be separate until others, teachers, family, and friends, taught me that they were. Celia and my mother both showed me that color does not define us. It represents a culture we may have grown up with and that all of them are similar despite these differences. However, there are always individuals who do not agree with this ideology. Celia combats this in ways I never could. She's civil and takes every blow at her one at a time and never let them know that they have affected her.

This scene is my favorite way she takes the discrimination against her respectfully: https://youtu.be/fATRFPaYk5Y?t=221




On to a more fun tone, the music in my episode is everywhere, because Celia is a singer. The music behind all of her actions set the stage for the story. From how she feels for Pedro (her lover), her family, friends, and her career as a singer. The Celia intro uses one of the famous singers hit songs Azucar. I grew up listening to this song without realizing that Celia Cruz was the singer of it until I heard it in the intro. The theme song is not the exact song but I remember growing up to hearing AZUCRE from my father while I was in my room. There is a ton of music throughout the show, but I will give you some of my favorites.

Celia intro is upbeat and enticing:
https://youtu.be/vaIXxk0-r3Y?t=17

The Betrayal Celia felt from Pedro's lies and how she chose to show her anger. Listen not only to her song choice but the piano and violin music they play between it to show how she felt:
https://youtu.be/eQ4pAZhUTfs?t=80

Here is where we meet two important characters in the story. We meet Lola and her evil stepfather. The music upon his entrance signifies that he's not a good man, but Lola's with Celia is:
https://youtu.be/E9TM2jvq9Gc?t=2634

All good things come to an end, and I am sad that I have to say that this is my last blog post for my FYOS Telenovela class. This class has been one of the best experiences I have had at UGA. It broadened my awareness of the different cultures of telenovelas and how impactful they can be to people. In more ways than one, I have noticed that I truly learned about different Hispanic cultures, along with other countries, about their values, traditions, goals, and sacrifices. I saw this from the overly dramatic clips that I watched in class to my very own show that I am analyzing for my project. Even though this is the end of my class, it's the beginning of a new appreciation for all that is out there.

Thanks For Blogging with me,
Ciara S.

2 comments:

  1. Ciara,

    I'm glad you have been able to not only expand your world view, but connect with this course topic on a personal level. While watching scenes on-screen can be fascinating, I feel like it is the personal connections people have in real life that can be the most fascinating to follow. I'm glad that, while our world is imperfect, the media is becoming more aware and inclusive towards people who weren't necessarily the stars of past novelas. As a music lover myself, I enjoy how music is one of the uniting factors in your telenovela; regardless of ethnicity or race, there is still hope that we can all unite despite our differences,coexist peacefully with one another, and learn that we are more similar than we are different.

    I agree that this seminar has definitely change my future outlook and appreciation for telenovelas. I'm sad this course is over, but I look forward to bringing this newfound appreciation with other telenovelas I watch.

    Tricia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ciara,
    We discussed today briefly about how significant this telenovelas is for you and I understand why more now after reading your post. It really made me think about how telenovelas are made for certain cultures and how people that the telenovela represents can get so wrapped in it and invested because it is something they can connect and relate on a deeper level to.I wish you all the best!

    ReplyDelete