Monday, January 28, 2019

Telenovela- Ciara S.

Alright! Let me begin by stating I did not have a ton of knowledge about telenovelas before starting this class. Along with my lack of knowledge in telenovelas I am not a fluent Spanish speaker. I started learning Spanish from school and working with my father. It was always a competition between my father and me on who's Spanish was better. We took Spanish classes together and worked alongside Spanish speakers in his job. I never had confidence in speaking my Spanish around other people, but I always compete against my father to prove how much better my Spanish is to his.


Now on to bigger and better things. I chose to watch Celia for my telenovela option, but before starting to watch these episodes; I have never seen an authentic telenovela. The only telenovela or the closest thing to a telenovela I have seen is the americanized Jane the Virgin. Her story keeps me on my toes but after watching a real telenovela I have found the differences and similarities between the two shows. 

They both have there love triangles, heartbreak, suspenseful cliffhangers at the end of each episode, and the need to draw their viewers in with each new episode. I enjoy the fact that each character is unique in their own way and you find yourself rooting for the person you want the main character to fall for. In both of these shows, I want the main character to be with the person who may not be the best for them. The differences between the two shows are noticeable for instance Jane The Virgin is not one season long. Its recap from previous episodes is not within the episode but a recap before the episode plays. Jane The Virgin also introduces new characters that are important for the viewer to remember for future episodes. However, in Celia, we're limited to the cast already given to us. 


I have now seen about fifteen episodes of Celia and let me say that I am not the only one who is invested in this show. My study room crew is also invested with me. I keep them posted on Celia's adventures with her love triangle, her evil sister, her friends love affairs, and her success in her musical career. They are crazy for Celia and always ask me questions to catch them up to the episode I am on. Ok! Let's see where Celia will take us. 

1 comment:

  1. I also did not know much about Telenovelas going into this class along with not being very fluent in Spanish I did feel pretty out of place coming into this class. I quickly learned it didn't matter. I think it is pretty cool that your study room likes to keep up with the show with you. I also had some friends walk in as I was watching the show and they sat down and now ask me how my telenovela is going every now and then. I honestly don't know if I would watch this show as I like something with a bit more action but the show does seem interesting.

    ReplyDelete