Wednesday, February 27, 2019

El Fin (Blog post 3)

First of all, I want to discuss how happy this class made me. It was a joy to sit in class and go to journalism every Wednesday. Dr.  Acosta-Alzuru what you do is amazing. My favorite pastime (watching telenovelas) means the world to people, and to know how significant and important it is to people around the world and you makes me feel united and connected to watchers across the globe. After taking this FYOS, I have realized that just similarly how soccer is important globally, so are telenovelas. The culture of these novelas is what connects and unites people and I love that about it. I know it is odd to say this, but Dr. Acosta-Alzuru  you are an inspiration to me. Seeing how happy and invested you are in what you love is moving. And to see how successful you are shows me the possibility of my future being what I desire. Lastly, I just want to comment on your enthusiasm and smile. It is clear that going to class, your students and teaching is what makes you happy.

Currently in my novela, Teresa is on a her very delayed honeymoon with Arturo. Watching her fall in love with Arturo made me realize that it is possible to fall out of love with one and fall in love with another. Some argue that Teresa falls in love with Arturo because he took her to Europe, but I think watching and seeing how much Arturo really loves her, caused this change.
Image result for teresa y arturo in europe
Learning about the issues in Venezuela was not a surprise to me, but the censorship law was. The worst part was watching the news this week and seeing how Venezuela's situation has negatively progressed was disheartening. The government's treatment of their people was hard for me to watch. The benefit concert was a step that people took for change in Venezuela, but I feel like the government is failing to also make steps to improve their situation. Professor made us fall in love with Monica Spear and later we found out that she was killed. It felt like I was in a telenovela that has a bad ending. However, having that familiarity with the actor helped us see how delicate Venezuela's situation is to their people.
Image result for venezuela benefit concertImage result for monica spear muerte

Furthermore, this class made me realize that there are so many amazing telenovelas out there, that I don't have to only watch the ones made by Mexico. Also, I have learned that it is okay to step out of my comfort zone. I've convinced myself that I can enjoy telenovelas that my favorite actors and actresses are not in.
Image result for angelique boyer telenovelas

Much Love,
Tiffany Mukundi

No comments:

Post a Comment